Welcome to another HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, that re-occurring feature where I ask a person of the internet to give us all some recommendations from their top shelf of life's 5 most important categories: Music, TV/Film, Books, Internet-ing, and ANYTHING (to make sure all bases are completely covered).
Today we're joined by Doug Hoyer, the ace Edmonton music maker who is now making music in Georgia. In fact, he is literally making music tonight in Athens and then heading off on a big tour all the way back up and through the motherland… and you can not only check out all the dates of the upcoming tour over on Exclaim, but you can also watch the excellent new music video for 'Get It Right'. So go do that and then you should also go get some more Hoyer in your ears over on his Bandcamp page.
And now, onwards with the recommendations…
#1 - WHAT IS THE ONE ALBUM (OR EP OR SONG) THAT YOU THINK SHOULD BE THE VERY NEXT MUSICAL THING THAT EVERYONE PRESSES PLAY ON THE NEXT TIME THEY FIND THEMSELVES THINKING “WHAT SHOULD I LISTEN TO NOW”?
I've been a huge fan of Jom Comyn's output over the years, because there's always so much to sink your teeth into. Not that the production is overwhelming, as it's usually fairly minimal. I just find there are nuggets and moods and lessons to be found in it all. So, everyone: take a listen to his latest EP, the Black Pits.
#2 - WHAT IS THE ONE MOVIE OR TV SHOW THAT YOU THINK SHOULD BE NEXT IN EVERYBODY’S NETFLIX QUEUE (OK, DOESN’T HAVE TO BE NETFLIX, WE’RE ALL INTERNET ADULTS HERE AND KNOW HOW TO FIND ANYTHING ONLINE, ONE WAY OR ANOTHER)?
I'm just a sucker for Star Trek: the Next Generation. Giving me hope for a better humanity. A world without currency or poverty. And what lessons we can learn about ourselves along the way.
3. I (AND BY “I” I MEAN “THE PERSON THAT IS READING THIS”) AM GOING TO THE BOOK STORE (OK, PROBABLY AMAZON) TO FIND THE VERY NEXT BOOK THAT I WILL BE PUTTING SOME EXTREMELY VALUABLE ‘ME-TIME' ASIDE FOR. WHICH BOOK WOULD YOU GET, IF YOU WERE ME (AND, I SUPPOSE, YOU HADN’T ALREADY READ WHAT YOU’RE ABOUT TO SUGGEST)?
I'm a sci-fi fan, and it was really fun to nerd out to the post-apocolytpic "Station Eleven" by Emily John Mandel.
In a world where a disease wipes out most of humanity, we jump back and forth in time to follow the stories of a vagabond troupe of shakespearean performers, keeping culture, and in turn hopefully our humanity, alive.
#4 - WHAT IS THE ONE WEBSITE (OR JUST ANY OLD INTERNET THING: APP, GIF, SERVICE, WHATEVER) THAT YOU WOULD GET REALLY DOWN IN THE DUMPS ABOUT IF IT WERE TO SUDDENLY GO AWAY?
Honestly, Exclaim.ca. I don't use pitchfork that much anymore. I love reading Exclaim not only for music reviews but for info on movies, books etc.
#5 - AND FINALLY… PLEASE GIVE ONE COMPLETELY UNAIDED RECOMMENDATION THAT YOU THINK EVERYONE SHOULD START DOING / USING / WATCHING / EATING / THINKING / QUITING / ETC-ING TO MAKE THEIR LIVES A LITTLE BIT MORE BETTER AND/OR BEARABLE.
Eat less meat and more veggies, please.
OK folks, there you have it. Things that Doug thinks you should consider incorporating into your day/life. Before you go check if it's too late to change your Meat Lovers pizza & wings order to a salad for tonights Star Trek marathon, go follow Doug on Twitter and give him a like on Facebook … and if you're in one of the below towns on one of the below dates, go see him music make in person:
- May 27 | Athens, GA @ Flicker (TOUR KICKOFF) w/ Band & the Beat
- May 30 | Manhattan, NYC @ Cake Shop
- May 31 | Buffalo, NY @ Mohawk Place
- June 1 | St. Catharines, ON @ Mahtay *
- June 3 | Peterborough, ON @ the Spill *
- June 4 | Toronto, ON @ Transac *
- June 5 | Guelph, ON @ Golden Bus !!! 2pm Kid Friendly Show *
- June 5 | Hamilton, ON @ Casbah *
- June 6 | Toronto, ON @ Monarch Tavern w/ Christian Hansen *
- June 7 | Ottawa, ON @ Pressed Cafe *
- June 8 | Montreal, QC @ Le Cagibi *
- June 9 | Charlottetown, PEI @ Fishbones *
- June 10 | Hubbards, NS @ Trellis Cafe *
- June 11 | Halifax, NS @ The Company House *
- June 15 | Boston, MA @ Middle East Corner
- June 16 | Richmond, VA @ The Tin Pan
- June 17 | Boone, NC @ House Show
- June 23-26 | Calgary, AB @ SLED ISLAND FESTIVAL
- July 29 | Edmonton, AB @ Churchill Square (Taste of Edmonton: FREE) w/ The Watchmen & Altameda
- August 6 | Lethbridge, AB @ house show w/ Sparkle Blood
- August 10 | Athens, GA @ Go Bar (Unofficial Popfest Kickoff)
* with Blimp Rock
And maybe we can all agree to meet up here again next week, yeah?