Annie Accidental comes to you from Scotland, in case you didn't pick up on the charming accent on your own. Her songs are filled with beautiful melodies and biting wit, if you don't find the songs working their way into your head and warming your heart, perhaps your listening tastes are strictly heavy metal.
To accompany your reading, here is the track 'Not If, When', which is off her lovely EP i have been mistaken for myself (which also features the track SAD, which you can hear on EPISODE 008 of 'Mix Tape Radio On FRUK').
So press play and read on.
Desert Island Top 5 albums (i.e. you can only have 5 albums to listen to and yes, there is a cd player and unlimited batteries on the island).
Impossible to do this for all time I think. Or at least would cause at least a month of headaches. So instead I shall give you what I'd take with me if my banishment happened today.
- Anni Rossi - Candyland
- Thomas Tantrum - Rage against the tantrum
- Stornoway - Beachcombers windowsill
- The Brunettes - Structure and Cosmetics
- Maia Hirasawa - GBG vs STHLM
Why do you think the Scottish accent is so much more charming then the Newcastle accent (what happens in those few kilometres that separates the two)?
Interesting one. Well to start with I don't know that that is nessesarily true, I think I like scottish accents because it's where I come from, who knows about the rest of you scotaphiles! Certainly I love the accents of many a band from the midlands also so I suppose it's all just a matter of opinion.
What are your biggest musical inspirations (or things that inspire your writing)?
I am consistently inspired by the most menial things, a phrase someone has used, a small realisation. I tend to base whole songs on the incidentals. Songs tend to come to me fully formed in the shower or mid tea-making and at no time when i'm trying. I could never force myself to write a song as it would be a massive pile of twaddle - no change there then I suppose.
Top 5 bands from scotland (current or past) that you think people outside of scotland have never heard of.
- King Creosote: Never mind scottish, Kenny Anderson is my favourite singer of all time. He just makes me melt.
- Ballboy: Ballboy have the best lyrics ever, very frank and honest, and not filthy, although I like a bit of that too, talking of which
- Arab Strap: People probably have heard of them loads outside scotland, I dunno. But they are pure FILTH and I facking love them.
- Michael Marra: Michael Marra is a dundee singer songwriter, some call him the tom waits of dundee, although i've never met any of them. If you ever get a chance to see him live, do it, you'll be laughing like a loon on loon tablets one minute and sniffling like a child the next. He might be hard to appreciate outside of scotland, but worth a try, the same actually goes for numbers 2, 3, 4, and me.
- Second Hand Marching Band: this might be me sucking up to my bf and friends but they really are quite spectacular, great to see in a teeny venue even if to just laugh at all 17+ trying to fit on the stage. I think the best way to describe them is 'JOY!'
You can take one book and one movie from the present and you can put it in a special time machine mail box that will send that book and movie back to your 16 year old self (and don't worry, the book and movie will not disappear if they are sent to a time before they existed - the time machine mail box has been specifically designed to deal with this situation).
What book and what movie would you send and why?
I'm going to be dead boring and say that's not something I'd want to do. I might irretreivibly change my life forever, it's not great to be too smart too soon! melvin burgess and empire records was just fine for being 16 I reckon.
Name one song you wish you had written instead of whoever actually wrote it.
Anything. ANYTHING by King Creosote. But in particular "a month of firsts"
What did Annie accidentally do?
You can only have one thing for the rest of your life, which do you chose: cigarettes, coffee, wine, beer or ketchup?
It makes me really sad that tea isn't on this list. So sad that I might have to go and have a little lie down now.